Nov 28, 2009

Not so pardonable


I am aware of my silliness. I keep swearing that I've read my last Maisie Dobbs and then I talk myself into giving her another shot. I love the setting of the series - in England between the wars. I don't love Maisie's character - very cold and calculating. I also don't love how the mysteries are solved by intuition, ghostly hints, and chance rather than real detective work.
This time, I wondered if listening to Pardonable Lies on tape might improve upon the experience. It didn't. It's time for me to give up on Miss Dobbs for good. I'm far too annoyed by how the crimes get solved and all the psychology babble.
Only a 2 out of 10 for me. Does anyone have any good books that take place in England between the wars though? There must be something out there that would hit the spot.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the Maisie Dobbs series. I also love reading about the interwar years and am always on the lookout for more. You might want to try David Roberts' Lord Edward Corinth and Verity Browne series beginning with Sweet Poison, Charles Todd's A Test of Wills, The Mammoth Book of Roaring Twenties Whodunnits by Mike Ashley (ed.), An Expert in Murder by Nicola Upson and Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen. They are all written in different styles and are set in different periods of the interwar years so I hope you will find something you like.

    ReplyDelete