Dec 30, 2009
Dec 29, 2009
I really enjoyed reading about the women's culture and rituals. It didn't strike me at all as a Christian with a capital C book. Just an interesting and almost impossible to put down story. I give it an 8.
Dec 28, 2009
Dec 27, 2009
Still the big ones for the new year are:
- Take better advantage of the farmers market and do some more preserving this growing season.
- Use my brand spanking new gym membership. (Cliche I know. I was planning on waiting til February to join - after the mad rush. However a new gym just opened near my work and their grand opening rates were insanely cheap and month to month so I had to take advantage).
- Focus on learning some new things (hello nearby rec center!) and flexing my creative muscle a whole bunch more.
Dec 25, 2009
Dec 24, 2009
Dec 23, 2009
Dec 22, 2009
1. The movie is jaw-droppingly seriously gasp-inspiringly gorgeous. All those insane plants and creatures are amazing. The 3D stuff was pretty awesome too.
2. The story is one of the most predictable things I've seen in a long long while. Other than the visuals, there are absolutely no surprises to be had.
You've been warned. I give it a 5 - cause really all those floaty jellyfish things and the glowy plants rocked my world even if the story didn't.
Dec 21, 2009
Plus its got me determined to read more about ambulance drivers in England during the Blitz (any suggestions?). I give it a 6.
Dec 20, 2009
Dec 7, 2009
Dec 6, 2009
Dec 5, 2009
Nov 28, 2009
Nov 27, 2009
Nov 26, 2009
Nov 22, 2009
Nov 21, 2009
Nov 20, 2009
Nov 19, 2009
Nov 15, 2009
Nov 13, 2009
The Fog of War is a documentary and interview of Robert McNamara - asking him tough questions about his military decisions and narrowing in on Vietnam War. It's fascinating.
The whole film is so well put together and striking. It doesn't lay anything out in black and white. And the Phillip Glass score is amazing. This is an intense documentary. I give it an 8.
Nov 11, 2009
It's a documentary about Mobile, Alabama's segregated mardi gras festivals. It was filmed two years ago and is guaranteed to make your jaw drop. You think this sort of thing doesn't go on any longer until you see it for yourself. We have a long way to go yet.
I give it a 7.
Oct 27, 2009
Oct 16, 2009
Destiny is usually just around the corner. Like a thief, a hooker, or a lottery vendor: its three most common personifications. But what destiny does not do is home visits. You have to go for it yourself.
Oct 15, 2009
The Brothers Bloom is the story of two con artist brothers set up to make one last score before they part ways. The actors in this film are spot-on perfect. I love that Steven's cons are compared to a Russian novelist's plots. And Rachel Weisz & Rinko Kikuchi both steal every scene they are in. It's filmed in a very clever way and written even better. I love this movie.
My only complaint is that I never understood Diamond Dog very much. Maybe I missed something, but I was a bit mystified by that character.
All in all this film gets an 8.5 from me. Watch it!
Oct 14, 2009
Oct 13, 2009
Oct 12, 2009
It sounds better than it reads. The characters are so boring, and the story goes on for far too long. I couldn't have cared less what happened to any of them. Only a 2 from me.
Oct 11, 2009
Sep 26, 2009
Sep 25, 2009
Castle in the Sky is a fun animated film from the ever-so-clever Miyazaki. The animation is so pretty and the story is a lot of fun. A coal miner boy finds a girl floating above the ground. They set off on an adventure to discover the secret of her protective pendant and find a floating castle.
I loved the robots and the pirates. They were the highlights of the film. The villains were a bit clunky though. Still, it's an enjoyable watch. I give it a 5.
Sep 24, 2009
Pretty - but not the right time period for the story.