Mar 27, 2012

Weak


I have a serious weakness for novels (and movies for that matter) set in England between or during WWI and WWII.  I'm a bit fascinated with all they dealt with.  So I thought I would love The Postmistress.  Given the plot of following three women during WWII (only one in England, the other two in the US) and all the buzz this book got, it should have been a shoe in.

Instead I finished it wondering what anyone ever saw in it.  The author begins by making a big deal about wondering what would happen if a postmistress didn't deliver the mail - how lives could be changed.  That plot point is  nothing in this book.  It makes absolutely no difference. 

The characters are pretty unrelatable.  The connection of one to the two others is pretty unbelievable.  It's just a weak story on a pointless premise.  Gar!  2/10. 

2 comments:

  1. I have a serious weakness for novels set in worn-torn European countries between WWI and WWII and was happy when my book club chose this novel. I did not even give it my customary 75 pages and I think I stopped reading in the 40's. It was not well received by my book club, who overwhelming found it to be boring. Now, "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" was a quick and thoroughly enjoyable little read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked The Guernsey book too!

    ReplyDelete