Feb 22, 2010

Radiators and drains


Past Imperfect is a story about society. It tells of a man asked by his oldest enemy to revisit their pasts and solve the mystery of a supposed illegitimate child he wants found so he can leave his millions to them.
Through the novel, the narrator tells of life in England during the last of the debutante days and the effects of time on all their old friends. I listened to this one on audio tape and it was really really wonderful. The author is clever with both characters and the turn of a phrase. At one point, a character refers to everyone they know as "either a radiator or a drain" which struck my fancy.
I very much enjoyed how this tale unfolded. I give it an 8.5 out of 10.
(Ack! I just just discovered that this really wonderful book's author also played Kilwillie on Monarch of the Glen - a show and character I adored! Kismet! And he wrote Gosford Park. I'm getting that been-living-under-a-rock feeling. But still!)

No comments:

Post a Comment