Feb 9, 2011

Horrified fascination


Room has got some insane buzz.  It was also shortlisted for the Booker prize.  I picked it up and read it within two days - finding it insanely hard to put down.

It's the story of a mother and child whose world is confined to one small room - the only world the child has ever known.  The writing is creative and the mother's coping techniques are really well thought out.  I had a lot of issues with the narrator, 5 year old Jack.  His language abilities swing wildly between baby-like and really sophisticated, and I felt that this disconnect took me out of the story several times. 

It was compelling despite of its flaws though.  My husband even remarked on the horrified look that would come over my face frequently while reading the book.  I just couldn't set it down for very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment