Aug 21, 2009

Blowhard


Didn't even finish - not even close. While I love a good chef-ish read, The Seasoning of a Chef annoyed me greatly. It's all about the background and beginnings of a man who became a successful chef. I was turned off right in the beginning after mentioning more than once how he came from a modest background and then pointing out his brand new Nike's when he was 10 or the nice house he was raised in. Yeah, he was no Hilton, but the tone of it all rubbed me the wrong way.
It may be his age (not so very old and around my age) or the fact that his brother wrote the book, but the whole thing felt like more distance was needed. If I feel the need to listen to some young blowhard tell self-important tales of how he struggled to make it big, I'll hit the bars. I just couldn't give a damn about this one. Only a 2 in my book.

2 comments:

  1. self-important tales of people who struggled to make it big, yuck. but it seems they are Everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If I feel the need to listen to some young blowhard tell self-important tales of how he struggled to make it big, I'll hit the bars."

    GREAT SENTENCE!

    ReplyDelete