May 28, 2009

Eye opening


Working in the nonprofit field, homeless folks are a small segment of the folks my organization serves. People generally picture an older veteran when they hear homeless so it was interesting to see a documentary on the hidden homeless - women.

It Was a Wonderful Life talks to many women each with a different story to tell. Bad divorces, job loss, medical issues, and other situations out of their control left these women living in cars, camping, staying with friends, or even living in a rented U-Haul truck. Its a powerful and eye-opening story, and I highly suggest it.
The family living in the motel gave me the warm fuzzies. They were all so sweet to eachother and dealt with everything with humor and love.
I loved the quote from Reena. I'm paraphrasing, but early on tshe says, "You always hear about people helping the homeless, but why don't they help them before they become homeless."

I give it an 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment