May 18, 2009

No red eyes here


Well maybe just a little and totally related to allergies and not The Reader. It was a good little movie, but not the uh-mazing one I'd expected.
The Reader is the post-WWII story of a fifteen year old German boy who gets involved with an older woman. Lots of nakedness and reading and sex and more reading and then suddenly Nazi-ness.

The story is interesting and different. The actor who plays the boy is phenomenal. Seriously, up against a terrific actress like Winslet and he shines. I had little love for the grown-up version, my usual crush man Fiennes though. He was just so pained and wilt-y and just not that great in this.

I really expected (and was prepared for) tears here. I felt sympathy for the fifteen year old, but when it came time to feel sorry for the grown-ups, I just couldn't. I'll give this one a 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment