Jul 19, 2009

Slow and golden



A sleepy weekend evening spent on my porch sipping cheap wine and reading Tortilla Flat is a little slice of heaven. For one, you can't read this book without a little bit of wine. The friends' main pursuit is always another gallon of wine.

Many critique this book for its racism since the main characters are mainly hispanic men who steal and don't work. However, I was able to see past that and enjoy the gorgeous writing and the beautiful portrayal of their flawed but loving friendships.

It is a time of quiet joy, the sunny morning. When the glittery dew is on the mallow weeds, each leaf holds a jewel which is beautiful if not valuable. This is no time for hurry or for bustle. Thoughts are slow and deep and golden in the morning.

Tortilla Flat is a slim little book meant for a slow sweet read. It may be the setting I read it in, but I give this an 8 of 10.

1 comment:

  1. I've read The Grapes of Wrath and Travels with Charley, both of which I enjoyed, and Cannery Row is on my list. A few years ago, I had the privilege of visiting some of the places he wrote about and seeing Rocinante and his grave - it was such a great experience.

    ReplyDelete